Sunday, March 6, 2011

Jetlag is no joke!!

Hey to all--

Here is the start of the blog I have been threatening to start for the last six months!! I would like to blame it all on jetlag but I have some peers who seem to have landed on their feet with nary a hint of it. What I have been informed and have come to realize is that jetlag is not just about time. It is about state of mind, comfort level and general ability to function. This was pointed out to me after I sat staring in the car, eyes glazed over, following a 3 hour grocery shopping trip. While the Italians have been relatively patient and understanding about my language deficit, there is a certain amount of mental drain when completely immersed in another culture on a day-to-day basis. As my friend and driver pointed out, you can only shop by the pictures on the package--it still doesn't mean that it is what you think it is. All in all, our biggest transition has been from moving from a small Montana town of 18,000 to a bustling city of 6 million people. I plan to share my joys and frustrations and give you all a little taste of Italy!

3 comments:

  1. yay! I am so excited you will blog this experience! ~Kristin (baker) Tilley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did well. While living in Germany I had lots of "experiments" when I got something that I wasn't quite sure what it was. I at least spoke some German and was only shopping for myself. My friends and I would share our discoveries and occasionally help the poor confused tourist. It does get a lot easier. You'll also have days when you say 'this would not have happened if I were at home.' This usually happened when I was trying to figure out the ATM machine as I was banking with a German account.
    Sermin

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would explain why one of the key phrases on the back of my Italian phrase book is "La mia tessera bancomat e stata trattenutta dal bancomat"--My ATM card has been eaten by a machine!

    ReplyDelete