Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sunshine and the Chiana Market

Rain was predicted all week. And I mean rain. It is not a sprinkle or a shower. It is intense, sleety rain that comes down so fast I have to look at the puddles on the ground outside to tell if it is actually raining. It doesn't actually stop anyone from doing anything (like snow in a place I used to be) and it does make the city smell nice. Everything is in bloom here and most of the trees on our street are in bloom.

Despite the dire weather forecast, a friend and I planned to get our littlest girls together on Tuesday. It must have been a charm because the sun was out and beautiful. It got up to 63 degrees and we had on short sleeves. After helping my friend back her car into my seemingly shrinking garage, we headed down the street to the Chiana Market. Chiana (kee-anna) is a short but very busy, tree-lined street. There are a number of shops and restaurants including our nearest gelataria and take-away pizza place.

The market itself in indoors and down a flight of stairs. Inside you can find absolutely everything you would at a grocery store. Not only are there fruit and vegetable stands, there are butchers, bakers, a huge fish-monger (what else do you call them?), wine shops, dry goods, homemade pasta as well as cleaning supplies and paper goods. You can even buy clothes there. We tried to think of something we would need but found it all. The egg woman will even sell you a single egg if you want!

My first time there I met a very sweet veg woman who took to my daughter though Tae refused her offer of olives or a banana. Her stuff covers 4 stalls and had all I was hoping for--enormous strawberries, pears and clementines. I am on a fruit kick. She also cleans and preps vegetables so I can buy packages of cleaned green beans, pull them out of the fridge and pop them in boiling water. So easy! I also bought fresh made salad mix, minestrone mix, fresh herbs (they really do make all the difference) and uncured fresh olives that are to die for. After paying, she went around with a bag and filled it with odds and ends of vegetables and herbs as a bonus. I made bruschetta with my fresh tomatoes and basil for dinner and have plans to roast a chicken with rosemary and lemons for my birthday tomorrow.

Outside the market, there are various tables set out selling everything from clothing to household goods, socks and underwear, purses and pots and pans. Items are inexpensive and the vendors change out daily so there is always the chance of some new find for 2 euros. You can get underwear for 50 cents here. (Great big underwear.)

My friend and I walked up the street to Pizza Kebab, my secret nook that will make my daughters chicken nuggets and fries without rolling their eyes or chasing us out when more customers arrive. As I continued to point out different shops, bus stops that would take me to the Colosseum or to Trevi Fountain, I realized that I had my legs under me once again and that this neighborhood was finally feeling like my own. Just then we discovered a little Illy coffee bar and hadn't yet seen and the day just got even better . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment