Sunday, March 6, 2011

The passion of the Italians

Okay--so we were warned that the Italians were passionate people and that situation and surroundings would not stop the expression of their love regardless of age. So I thought I was prepared. More than once there has been a couple making out at the movies, in a shadowy corner or at a party. No big deal, right? Wrong.

We have been riding the bus here which stops right on our street and is a quick,cheap means of getting to the embassy and around the city. Taeyana likes to sit on the wheel well and "drive" the bus. It is directly behind the ticket validation machine and an easy way to keep her entertained for the 15 minute ride home. On this particular evening, Tae's favorite spot was already occupied by a lovely young woman. Her admirer was leaning against post where we needed to stamp our tickets. The bus was packed. We were all jammed together. I went to stamp our tickets but paused. The intensity of their conversation and kissing was so incredibly intimate, even on a bus of 50, that it qualifies in my eyes as lovemaking! I closed my eyes and stretched out my hand with the ticket to punch it--trying in vain to give them some privacy and ease my embarrassment. They thought it was hilarious.

This was not simply two people kissing on the bus. The young woman pouted and gasped and coyly fluttered her eyelashes only to give him a simple (yet unnervingly loud) kiss before she began talking again. The poor young man, groaned and pleaded, finally just resting her head on her chest. At this point, she locked at me, cocked her head and smiled! These poor Italian men have NO chance. So much for being prepared for the passion of the Italians. Thank God my kids had no questions once we reached our stop! 

No comments:

Post a Comment